Every year, Wash Park Tennis Club and Lakewood Tennis Association face off in a head-to-head battle of the clubs! The winning club not only takes home the annual trophy, but more importantly has bragging rights for 365 days!
- Players must play for ONLY 1 club.
- If a player is a member of both clubs, they must choose which club they will represent in The Challenge.
- A player may not play for one club in one match and the other club in a second match on the same day.
Sign Up to Play for WPTC!
- Match Teams
- Each match will be played by 2 players from each club
- Two match teams playing against each other must have a combined NTRP rating equal to each other. (ex. 7.0 vs. 7.0, 7.5 vs. 7.5, etc)
- Each match team can be made up of any combination of genders (women, men, or mixed), as long as their combined NTRP rating is equal to the opposing match team’s.
- When a match is short a player
- If a team is short a player, the next available person on the sub list who is at the same level as the missing player will substitute.
- If there is not a person at the same level available on the sub list, a volunteer of the same level from those not scheduled to play in the following round will be recruited.
The Rules for Match Play
- Each match will consist of a total of 8 games.
No Ad scoring will be used.
- Each person will serve only 2 of the 8 games played.
- This should NOT be confused with an 8-game Pro Set.
Who receives when a game reaches deuce…
- Points within a game are called out as 1, 2, 3, 4.
- When a game reaches 3-3 (or “deuce”), whichever team wins the next point wins that game.
No match tiebreaker.
- The team that is behind in number of games won decides which player will receive serve.
- If the number of games won is tied, the receiving team decides which player will receive serve.
- There is NO requirement for gender-to-gender serving if it’s a mixed doubles match.
Immediately after finishing a total of 8 games…
- Do not play a tiebreaker if the score is 4-4 after playing 8 games.
- Simply report the score as 4-4.
- DO NOT play any extra games.
- Leave the match balls on the court (for the next match).
- Immediately report the score back to the host desk.